About Cass County
Cass County is on of Illinois's smallest; however, its location put it on a road which many early settlers followed. The Illinois River forms the county's western border; this natural waterway brought early traders and trappers from the north to the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Settlers came down the Ohio River then followed the Mississippi northward by way of the Illinois River into the fertile prairie of Cass County. Cass County was formed in 1837 out of Morgan County. Prior to 1823 both counties were part of Sangamon County. Cass County's first courthouse was built in 1838. Dr. Henry Hall donated fifteen acres to the county to build a two-story courthouse in Virginia. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Beardstown and the courthouse became known as North School. In 1872 Virginia regained the county seat and moved into a new brick courthouse on the square.